Feed-in Tariff

Feed-in Tariff for Solar & Other Electricity Generating Technology

There are lots of things to consider when installing renewable energy such as solar but one thing you will need to consider is the feed-in tariff.

When you generate your own energy (electricity), you don’t just save money by not having to buy that energy – you can also get paid for the energy you produce.

If you have a renewable electricity generating technology such as solar PV, wind turbine, micro-CHP or micro-hydro then you may be eligible for the UK Government’s Feed-in Tariff (FIT) scheme. Introduced in April 2010, this scheme pays generators a tariff for each unit of electricity generated and an additional tariff for each unit of electricity exported to grid.

A similar scheme is being introduced for heat generation: the Renewable Heat Incentive.

At AJ Shire we advise about this process and help you apply for feed-in tariff but here are  the basics of Feed In Tariffs as provided by the Energy Saving Trust.

You can also find feed-in tariff information at Department of Energy & Climate Change or some additional advice on the Guardian website.

Registering for Feed In Tariffs FITs

Once we have installed your generating technology, take these steps to register for FITs:

  • Ask your installer to register you on the central MCS database. The installer will then send you a certificate confirming MCS compliance.
  • Tell your chosen FIT supplier that you wish to register for the FIT and send them:
  • a completed application form
  • the MCS certificate
  • the Energy Performance Certificate that shows your home has an energy efficiency rating band D or better (for solar PV only from 1 April 2012 although the UK Government is consulting on whether to include this requirement for wind turbines and microCHP too).

Then as your qualified installer we will:

  • cross-reference your installation with the MCS database and undertake other eligibility checks.
  • confirm your eligibility and the date you are eligible for payments from
  • add you to the Ofgem Central FIT Register, which records all installations in the FIT scheme
  • agree with you if and when you will need to provide meter readings and when they will make FIT payments to you – these will form part of your statement of FIT terms.

That’s it. But as always we advise that you give us a call for a no-obligation chat. It sounds indepth but with our experience and expertise we can make it easy and painful.

Contact Us for Solar Installation